Friday, April 20, 2007

Ultimatums

It is funny how an ultimatum, something designed to control you, has the opposite effect of setting you free. Ultimatums show that the person has no regard for your feelings and is unwilling to compromise - convincing you that even if you originally were going to consider the idea, that it really isn't in your best interest - regardless of the other possibilities that may be part of the mix. You just know that one just isn't it solely because it is presented as coercion instead of a choice. People who love you don't force you to do things. They are supportive and understanding - and forgiving. And the decisions you make for these people are the ones that really count because you make them with your own free will, not because you feel like you are being forced.

There have been many times in my life when I tried to force someone to love me or make decisions taking in account my best interest in life. You know, that never seems to work. The times I presented the options and allowed them to choose were the times that the outcome was more positive. On top of that, those times were the most meaningful. When I let go and let God, life seems to go so much better. I can just do the best I can and have no control over what other people say or do. And I think I am doing pretty good.

Tonight will be a good night for putt-putt golf. Maybe I will make a hole in one (not likely!). Tomorrow, Mike and I are going to the zoo. Tomorrow night, I am camping out at my friend John's house. After that, back to the grindstone. I have lots of paper revisions to make between now and the end of the month.

Trying to stay focused. I have a lot of things that need to get done, but they are all good things to do.

No comments: