Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ambiguity

"In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lives you live."

Life has a funny way of changing course without you knowing if you are following the correct path. I often find myself scared that I am just completely lost. Other times, I am certain of my direction.

When Joel and I went hiking, I was thinking about how it was like life. We were following these blue dots, and we turned left onto this one trail. We weren't sure if we made the right turn or not. We had to decide if we should take the chance and keep following that path or turn around and reevaluate the path we had chosen. After walking for about 15 minutes, we decided to turn around. In turned out that we had taken the wrong path which took us 30 minutes out of our way. Had it been the right path, we would have wasted the same amount of time retracing our steps. It could have really gone either way. In the end, we found the waterfall, but we did end up getting locked in the state park.

I guess I am drawing out the metaphor into quite a conceit. I am not quite sure which parts pertain to the analogous parts of my life. I know there are choices to make. I know that there are times you aren't even sure if you are lost. I know sometimes you have to turn around. Others, you just have to forge ahead. I know that the paths we take can waste our precious time. However, without them, we wouldn't have stories to tell. And we never quite know where we are going until we have reached our destination. Yet, along the way, there are good friends and an occassional waterfall.

No comments: