Monday, June 25, 2007

Great Smoky Mountains

We had a great time this weekend. We left Friday afternoon and stayed in a hotel in Asheville that night. We went to Tupelo Honey's for dinner. We woke up the next morning and drove to the Cherokee entrance to the national park. We stopped at Mingo falls first. I have never been to the mountains on-season so there were a lot more people than I am used to. Then we drove through the park to Gatlinburg and did the Roaring Fork Motor trail. We went to see one of my favorite waterfalls - Grotto falls. We had lunch on a rock near a stream which was really cool. Then we drove to Cades Cove where we were camping. We set up the tent then went around the scenic loop. We saw tons of wild turkeys, deer, and black bears. I usually saw more deer and less of the other two. It was definitely black bear season - we saw 7 black bears at least!!


We had hotdogs and baked beans for dinner. Mike made me a smore for dessert while I incinerated some marshmellows on a stick. We read for a while then went to bed (or tent should I say?). There was this owl that was hanging around our campsite so I had this really vivid dream that he was peaking in our tent while we were sleeping. It was so neat!

We woke up in the morning (no showers in the national park) and had orange juice, eggs, and bacon for breakfast. We packed up all the stuff and headed out. We saw the Sinks and Laurel falls then went to Gatlinburg. We went to the Ripley's Aquarium which had some pretty neat aquatic life. Then we went through Pigeon Forge to Sevierville (stopping at Krispy Kreme for lunch) to check out the Forbidden Caverns which is a huge cave. However, the cave was closed on Sundays (who closes a cave on Sundays?). Just as well because it was getting late and stormy. We (as in Mike) drove back to my house and dropped me off. It was around 6 PM in the evening. I took a long awaited shower and went to bed. I woke up around midnight to check my email then went back to sleep.

Now here I am awake. I am a little achy from all the hiking - maybe 6 miles total but uphill (both ways!). I have a headache (probably from the changes in elevation). So I have had my ibuprofen and diet Pepsi this morning and am waking up. I don't have much food in the house so I think I will drive and get some breakfast. I work from home this week then leave for San Francisco on Thursday.

Ahh, I am thankful for a really great trip with a really great guy.

No comments: