Sunday, July 30, 2006

Happy

For goodness sake, when people are happy, you should let them be happy! Life is so short, why should we try to rob somene else of their happiness? When someone is happy, be happy for them. I might even go as far as to say when people are sad, let them be sad! If they are sad, console them but don't expect them to become unsad.

That is one of the biggest problems with society. Emotions are taboo; they have a negative connotation. To cry or to laugh too often results in people telling you that you must grow up . . . Children can laugh 15 times a day, cry 5, and have any range of emotion from morning to night. Feeling is invigorating! But we are supposed to be adults, right? We should be "stable" and "responsible," not impulsive like little children . . .

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Thank you, Jesus! You remind us that what the world wants isn't what God wants.

I want to feel the gamut of my emotions. I want to revel in my sadnesses and rejoice in new love. I want to cry during sad country songs and laugh at cheesy jokes. I want to rebuke filth from entering my life and invite goodness with open arms. I want to live intentionally. I want to love without reservation. I want to be grumpy when I am sleepy and seek comfort when I am vulnerable. I want to cower under my covers when I am scared, take naps when I am sleepy, work when I am feeling motivated, and have fun when I am ready to play.

So much of our time and energy is spent trying to change how we feel to suit others or our own expectations. In many ways, it just cripples us. I think if everyone could just accept us for where we are, we all would be able to grow so much faster and stronger . . . now don't mistake me here . . . acceptance for the moment we are in does not mean complacency . . . accepting weakness is reality, empowering it is uncalled for. As with everything else, there is a fine balance between loving and supporting with the intent to counteract change or to catalyze it.

No comments: