Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Unknown

I've been stressed because Mike hasn't been feeling well. He started getting really bad headaches in July, but they couldn't get him in the see a Neurologist until October. Since then, he has developed tightness in his chest and mini seizures that make his whole body spasm. At first, it was only right before bed, and now it is pretty much all throughout the day. It has continously been getting worse. His doctor has advised that he not drive or travel which makes it hard for him to do his job. So he might have to go on short-term disability at work if they can't figure out and start treating the problem this week. He has already had 3 MRIs, CT scan, echo-cardiogram, a sleep deprived EEG, an EKG, a 48 hour EEG, a sleep study, and blood tests for all sorts of stuff (blood sugar, West Nile, Yellow Fever, Lime disease, etc.). They haven't found the cause yet. They have him on 2-3 new medicines. One is for seizures which helps his convulsions but makes him dizzy. At first they got rid of the muscle jerks, but then they came back. He is taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night, so he can't really increase the dosage. The other night, he got out of bed and just fell down on the floor because he was so dizzy. So I have been driving us around because he hasn't been feeling good enough to drive. Whatever it is has also been affecting his mental faculties where he just tells me sometimes, "I can't think." It also makes him depressed and anxious, whicvh I am not sure if those are symptoms or just a result of the symptoms. Either way, he has been having a very tough time of it the last few months. Of course, it gets me frustrated sometimes because I am not the most patient person, and having a fuzzy-headed newlywed husband can get pretty stressful. I know being sick isn't his fault, but it does put quite a bit of a burden on me when I am not generally the healthiest person in the world myself. I try to just be supportive, but I am definitely not perfect at it. The latest theory we have is that he had some fillings removed earlier this year, and he possibly could have gotten mercury poisoning which would cause all the symptoms he is experiencing. The other possibility is Parkinsons disease. His dad just reminded him that his great grandfather had Parkinson's. I am really hoping that it is mercury poisoning over Parkinson's though. I was trying to get him into the doctor Friday afternoon, but no one would see him. He didn't feel up to waiting in the Emergency room for hours to get seen - to probably be told that they wouldn't be able to run any of the tests until Monday anyway. So, I am driving him to the doctor early in the morning (Monday). He is scheduled for a spinal tap which I have heard can be excruciatingly painful. My poor honey. If they can't figure out what is wrong by doing testing, then he will need to be checked into a hospital, or we may have to go up to Duke so they can figure out what is going on. So we have been praying that he will feel better soon. I guess I wish this wasn't how we had to spend the first few months of married life. I will definitely stay true to my vows in sickness and in health, but I guess we all would wish that we didn't have to be tested right away. Mike is a sweetheart, and I just feel so helpless that I can't make him feel better. Overall, we are happy and love each other. He asked me the other day if I would have married him if he was having all of these problems before we got married. I told him of course. I am still lucky to have him even if times are a little tough right now.

No comments: