Monday, July 23, 2007

What to Say

I think all the time. My mind never really shuts off. Some people think I share too much on my blog when they don't realize that there is a lot that I don't share as well. I am usually most inspired to write when feeling sad and lonely because I feel like it is a way to connect to someone else even if they aren't in the room with me. Other times, I just blog because I get antsy. A lot of my deeper thoughts and emotions don't make it onto my blog by design.

So what is life all about?

Family. Family is pretty good right now. I saw Lisa's family and the extended family while in San Francisco. I last saw mom in May and Kim and Tony in January. I talk to my mom probably about once a week. My family has never been that close-knit (maybe the relatives in SF, but not us on the East coast). Nothing really bad is happening right now, so we are all just kind of going along with the ride. I really want to see mom for Thanksgiving, but she is being stubborn.

Friends. I miss my friends in Florida. I don't have any really, really close friends in Charlotte. It is good to get out and socialize with people every now and then though. In general, I like people. I care about them. I like helping them and seeing them happy.

Goals. I have been busy with work and side work and research this summer. As always, I have too many things to do. I am a bit stressed about qualifying exams coming up this or next semester. Other than that, everything is pretty much right on track. I sometimes wish I had more time to focus on my PhD studies, but I enjoy the work I do as well. I don't know what I would do with all the extra time if I was just working on my PhD. I am still up-in-the-air about what I am going to do when I graduate. I still have some time but not much to decide. I am presenting at a conference in Colorado during the beginning of August.

God. I haven't been going to church all that regularly. Francis and I went when he was in town, and that was nice. It would mean a lot if Mike went to church with me, but I understand why he is hesitant because he spent his whole life going to Catholic school. I pray every day almost even if I don't make it to church every week. God is good.

Health. I have had some ups and downs with my health lately. I need to lose some weight and exercise now that some of the more stressful health issues seem to have fallen along the wayside. I sleep a lot. I love naps. I am taking Lipitor for my cholesterol.

Cats. They are perfect as always. Scuro's 9th birthday is coming up in August.

Home. I love my house. It is usually neat and uncluttered. I haven't been home as much as I am used to lately, however. Chris and Amber have been alternating staying here in Charlotte and in High Point for the last 4 months or so. I still want to do some home improvement projects, but they seem to keep falling to the bottom of my list.

Love. After thinking you have everything going for you in this department, you start to be less optimistic than you were in the past. Mike and I are doing well, I think. He is taking me to see Kim and Tony for my birthday. We are hoping to take a trip to Savannah and meet up with my mom and Watson for a weekend in September. I have briefly met his mom and sister. He is finally getting used to having a girlfriend around. I am finally talking less about Mark all the time. I think we are both scared sometimes, but things are on the right track. We just have to make sure we don't let our caution ruin something that is really good. Neither one of us want to get hurt.

Money. I can't complain here. I have money saved up in the bank, and I am doing pretty well for a PhD student. I get a little stressed that I am not saving more for retirement, but I don't let it bother me too much.

Future. Well, for those of you who know me, I am a planner. I know pretty much what to expect for the next year, but after that I have no idea. The unclear roadmap makes me anxious, but it is pretty much unavoidable. If I don't sell my house before 2010, my mortgage interest rate is going to adjust which will suck. I should be done with my PhD in about a year and a half. Qualifying exams need to be taken either in September or next January. Other than that, I don't have any impending milestones. However, I will be 30 in less than 3 years . . .

Somethings I would like to do in the near future:
-Spend more time getting to know Mike's mom
-Have Ru meet Ra and Scuro
-Go to Carowinds
-See mom
-Get my lightning claim squared away
-Hang out with Matt and Amy
-Travel abroad
-Get published in a journal

No comments: